Wednesday 18 January 2017

Project 2: Image and Text

What: Examine and document an Image with differing text captions
Where: Home
When: Morning and Afternnons
How: I first reviewed the coursework and played around with a few ideas and images.

The first image is from the Standing Rock protests. Whilst the protest was in the international news there was as far as I could see little interest in the actual people protesting and the situation on the ground from an impartial point of view. However the situation was highlighted by Dee Snider, singer of Twisted Sister, when he took to social media to voice his anger at the civil rights and human rights issues as well as his anger at his son and the film crew being tear gassed while documenting the situation.

https://www.facebook.com/facedeesnider/videos/1379599582050312/





Man on horse looking downhill at security and police 




  
Lone protester


 
Cause for concern for rights violations by security forces


  
Calm day of protest 


Quiet day at Standing rock 

Police continue to face protest

Here I found that the caption text could influence (re-contextualise) the image. It could be used to either politicise the situation or show that it was blown out of context. 



The second image I used was a more neutral image as I wanted to see if I could give differing perspectives of the image.




Small business improvements by government policy


Broadbamd expansion to continue by BT.

Nuisance Call centres to be  brought under control

Concern about UK workers work life balance



Conclusion: I was surprised how easily an image can be "unbalanced" and its perspective changed by something as simple as a caption. This means that I must think harder on how I caption my own images as I could easily re-conceptualise the image by accident.






No comments:

Post a Comment